Casual • Cochrane Region
Do you have a desire to work for Correctional Services? If so, then consider this rewarding opportunity with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, where you will support the correctional system in Ontario and contribute to keeping Ontario's communities safe. The Correctional Officer position is a rewarding career in the justice sector and is an opportunity to work with an employer that promotes diversity. The Ministry will be delivering training in both the North East and North West in the coming months. This is an exciting time to join Correctional Services as it undertakes transformation!
Note: Hours for these positions are irregular and can vary from 0 up to 40 hours per week, with no guarantee of hours.
If you have applied for a Correctional Officer competition within the last 6 months, there is no need to re-apply.
This job advertisement is for work locations exclusively in Northern Ontario. If you are successful in the competition you will only be considered for positions listed above.
The recruitment process will be facilitated in areas that are local to the work locations.
- 2 Bilingual Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 3052 Rese Rd, Monteith, North Region or 2351 Hwy 61 S , Thunder Bay, North Region or 285 Macdougall, Thunder Bay, North Region or 1430 River Dr, Kenora, North Region or 310 Nelson St, Fort Frances, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Canadian Border Services Check, Credit History Check, Driver's License History, Intelligence, Local Police Databases Search, Social Networking Search
- 25 Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 3052 Rese Rd, Monteith, North Region or 2351 Hwy 61 S , Thunder Bay, North Region or 285 Macdougall, Thunder Bay, North Region or 1430 River Dr, Kenora, North Region or 310 Nelson St, Fort Frances, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Canadian Border Services Check, Credit History Check, Driver's License History, Intelligence, Local Police Databases Search, Social Networking Search
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Perform a full range of duties, including the care, custody, control and supervision of offenders
• Interact with offenders to maintain security and safety in the facility
• Provide community escort duties to ensure the safety of offenders, staff, visitors and the public
• Maintain communications with a range of contacts, including offenders, co-workers, supervisors, clinical and medical staff
How do I qualify?
You must meet the following pre-requirements to apply:
• Be a minimum of 18 years of age
• Possess oral French skills at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual positions)
• Be currently certified and/or able to be certified by first day of employment in Emergency First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Heartsaver (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator(AED)
• Must have original proof of Grade 12 completion or an equivalency (e.g. general equivalency diploma/certificate)
• Must be able to work rotating shifts, including days, afternoons and nights, and on weekends and statutory holidays
• If an offer is made, proof of eligibility to work in Canada will be requested
To be considered for the Correctional Officer position, you must successfully complete the following during the recruitment process:
• Ministry administered aptitude, cognitive and psychological tests
• Candidates who are selected to participate in the Correctional Officer recruitment process will be required to successfully complete FITCO testing prior to a conditional offer of employment being made
• Correctional Officer pre-employment medical exam
• Correctional Officer Training and Assessment (COTA) program
• Oral French Language test at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual correctional officer positions only)
• Correctional Officer Enhanced Security Clearance process, which includes:
-Vulnerable Services Sector Check
-Out-of-Country Check (if applicable)
-RCMP Records Check
-NICHE/RMS File Check
-PIP (Police Information Portal) Check
-Credit Equifax Check
-Immigration Status Check
-Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Check - last ten years
For further information on the Recruitment Process of Correctional Officers, please visit:
• Email: CSRU@ontario.ca
• Phone: 1-855-927-CSRU (2778)
Or contact Jennifer Roukkula, Regional Recruiter - Northern Region at Jennifer.email@example.com or 807-708-1049
YOU MUST APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE JOB POSTING ON THE GOVERNMENT OF ONTARIO CAREERS WEBSITE at https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=131171
Emailed applications will not be accepted.