Full-Time • Cochrane Region
Location: Detour Lake Mine
Rotation: 14 days in, followed by 14 days off
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Based at the Detour Lake Mine site, we currently have an exciting opportunity for a Mine Geologist to join our Technical Services team reporting to the Geology Superintendent.
Detour Lake is the second largest gold producing mine in Canada with the largest gold reserves and substantial growth potential. The open pit mine is located in northeastern Ontario, approximately 300 kilometres northeast of Timmins and 185 kilometres by road northeast of Cochrane, within the northernmost Abitibi Greenstone Belt.The mine is situated in the area of the historic Detour Lake open pit/underground mine operated by Placer Dome which produced 1.8 million ounces of gold from 1983 to 1999. The Detour Lake operation has a mine life of approximately 22 years with an average gold production of 659,000 ounces per year.
The Mine Geologist will work in a production geology team to deliver maximum ore grade to the Process Plant through accurate identification and optimal ore classification.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Ensure all ore block mark-ups are checked against the ore block design plans;
- Ensure the ore design procedure is being correctly followed and all ore-polygon data is being managed correctly;
- Grade Control block model is being correctly flagged and updated with mineable provisional and final ore-polygons at the end of each month;
- Ensure that blast holes are being correctly identified and sampled and that NAG/PAG sampling is performed according to procedure in areas identified;
- Ensure all mine geology personnel and drilling contractors are working towards providing and collecting the most representative sample possible from the drill rig;
- Compile and evaluate geological data and report the results to improve ore body modeling and grade estimation;
- Clear and timely communication with other geological personnel, engineering team and mine operations team on related geological matters;
- Update database and Datamine with drilled holes;
- Provide Engineering with updated drilling plans for inclusion in weekly report;
- Apply geoscience technical experience as it relates to drilling, sampling, QA/QC, grade control, dilution, cost control, reconciliation, etc.;
- Create block models making use of geological, structural and grade information required for resource/reserve estimation;
- Appropriately process ore blast movement for mining; through use of specialized equipment, software, and drone technology.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geology;
- Minimum five years’ experience as a production geologist in an open pit mine;
- Registration and good standing with the APGO;
- Experience using 3D software, preferably Datamine;
- Experience with geological modeling and drill core logging;
- Intermediate skills with MS Office;
- Experience working at a remote work site is an asset;
- Proven commitment to health, safety and the environment;
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
- Attention to detail.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
Together, we are building a world-class gold mine and our success is determined by the hard work and dedication of our team. All of our team members are rewarded with a competitive benefits package and on-the-job perks, including:
- Competitive Salary
- Travel Allowance
- Group Benefit package
- Training and learning opportunities
Should you be the successful candidate for this role, you will be contacted by a member of our Human Resources Department to schedule an interview.