Sample Preparation Technician (Summer contract)
Contract • Cochrane Region
Employer: SGS Canada
Location: First Avenue, Cochrane, Ontario
Number of vacancies: 4
Wage: To be discussed
Terms of Employment: shift work (days, nights and weekends) and 12 hour shifts / rotational basis of 4 on and 4 off.
Start Date: ASAP End Date: end of August or September 2020
Other Details: Positions are geared towards postsecondary students or those who have completed their Grade 12 Diploma
Role and Responsibilities :
Business Line: SGS Minerals- Geochemistry / Reporting to: Laboratory Supervisor
- Unpack, sort, transfer and dry samples
- Execute and perform crushing, pulverizing and screening of geological materials as per SGS’ Standard Operating Procedures.
- Conduct routine quality checks including particle size analysis, dust loss and report data immediately to the Supervisor or group leader if results are outside of acceptability parameters.
- Ensure that work order documentation is complete in every respect and QC results are entered SLIMS as necessary.
- Maintain clean and organized workbench area ensuring spills are immediately cleaned; disposal is according to laboratory procedures including any special requirements for handling international soils.
- Ensure that equipment is maintained in good order making the Supervisor or group leader aware of any damaged or defective equipment or any equipment requiring adjustment i.e. pulverizing time or crushers gaping.
- Keep all records and notebooks in good order including work order and equipment maintenance logs.
- May be asked to work in other areas of the Geochemistry laboratory sections when required.
Qualifications and Education Requirements :
- High school Diploma or GED
- 0 - 1 years of relevant work experience required or equivalent experience through education.
- Strong analytical and mechanical skills.
- Ability to perform routine bench tests.
- A willingness to learn new analytical tests, instrumentation and procedures.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Candidates must demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others & independently and, works well under pressure.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
Additional Notes/Other Requirements:
Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving
greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities
during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for
qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.